Zak the Loved
For the longest, his only interaction with the team was being excised, until after Rachel’s return from hell. As Temrash begins to attempt to work with them, Uryphe becomes impatient with the amount of posturing and taunting and innuendo and starts participating just to cut through the crap and get the ball rolling.
Uryphe’s ancient history is unclear. He has been with Temrash for a long time in hell, and, as a demon, has done terrible things and has a twisted soul, but it’s not near as bad as it should be because Temrash took on a lot of hell for him. They likely did not know each other when they were alive. Uryphe is low ranking enough that Eva would have ignored him except that Temrash desperately found him a willing host in Zachary Dawson, who was sick with degenerative disorder and was doomed to a life of unknown length in a hospital. Since then, he’s been accepted as a part of Eva’s entourage and is used for minor distractions and assignments.
He has the most “human” personality seen in a demon, comparable to Rachel, though he can still be surprisingly wicked, vindictive, and even malicious. Because of his weakness, he’s much more easily trapped than Temrash and he’s been exorcized dozens of times by the team. Because of the battery Zak has taken during these exorcisms, his ability to survive with Uryphe becomes less and less. Neither Uryphe nor Zak let on to the hunters, though.
- Coping mechanism - Uryphe doesn’t handle abandonment well, and tends to run to Erek when he feels he can’t depend on Temrash.
- Morality - Uryphe is mildly moral, but self-interested.
- Personality - He’s calmer and more subtle than Temrash, and more direct in handling the Hunters.
- Quirks - Romanticism, humanity, loving relationships. Will flinch at “Jesus.”
- Sex/Love - Uryphe is a romantic who leans toward, though doesn’t necessarily stick to, monogamy. It’s been established that there has been “play” on both sides, but he is intensely jealous of the things Temrash does without him and without permission. He’s extremely possessive and not only does he not want Temrash sleeping around, but he doesn’t want Temrash talking to people he’s slept with. During a phase of “abandonment” he found and fell for Erek, and has been conlicted about his feelings since.
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER CHARACTERS
- Cassie - Of the Hunters, Cassie is the one Uryphe gets along with best, which is to say he doesn’t totally hate her. She has reasons for what she does and seems to think things out beyond the “ew, monsters” response of most hunters.
- David - Uryphe doesn’t trust David as far as he can throw him, and doesn’t like being forced to cooperate at all with a demon of another alliance. He’s afraid of angering Eva.
- Erek - He has feelings for Erek, which was his reason for breaking up with Erek. He’s afraid of what Temrash would do if he knew Erek was more than a toy.
- Eva - Uryphe has never met Eva face-to-face, tending to get orders through other demons. He’s afraid of upsetting her since he knows he’s weak and Temrash is lazy.
- Jake - He respects Jake but is wary of him on account of personal experience.
- Marco - He hates Marco vehemently on account of knowing that Marco and Temrash have slept together.
- Rachel - Rachel amuses him, and he actually fears the least due to her predictability. He may also see something of himself of her.
- Tobias - Scared of Tobias, he’ll instantly disappear if he catches wind that Tobias is with about to join the team. He knows Tobias’s angelic training is to obliterate both him and Zak.
- Tom - While demons seem to fall into poly, harem, or “fuck buddy” relationships, Temrash and Uryphe are solidly together in love, with everything on the side being supposedly merely physical. The complication here is Erek. Uryphe has been with Temrash for ages in hell and is still very much in love despite their difficulties, but he is difficult to get along with because of the personality he’s taken on due to taking on a lot of the hell that should have hit Uryphe.
- Spelling was changed from “Zach” to help prevent confusion with Zachariah.
- The team does know his real name, and call him “Hips” and “Hippie.” Temrash calls him “Sweetness” and occasionally “babe.”
- He calls Temrash “Temmy.”